Old Fashioned Bread Pudding Recipe – A Classic and Easy Dessert
A classic recipe, this Old Fashioned Bread Pudding is easily made with chunks of French bread coated in a deliciously spiced custard! Perfect for a dessert, breakfast or brunch!
A Classic and Easy Dessert
Bread Pudding has been a favorite sweet recipe for centuries. There are so many different flavors that you can make, but this classic one is where you need to start. With only a small amount of ingredients, it is quick to put together and it works great as either a breakfast or dessert recipe. We like it for both and love it hot or chilled. It’s so good either way!
So if you’ve never tried bread pudding before or just want to make a tried and true recipe, then you need to make this Old Fashioned Bread Pudding recipe.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
To make this delicious Old Fashioned Bread Pudding, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 4 cups of French bread, cut into chunks
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted
How to Make Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
Now that you have all the ingredients ready, let’s get started with the recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Add the bread chunks to the bowl and gently toss to coat them in the custard mixture. If desired, stir in the raisins.
- Pour the melted butter over the bread mixture and stir to evenly distribute it.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the custard is set.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or chilled, and enjoy!
Customize Your Bread Pudding
This Old Fashioned Bread Pudding recipe is delicious as is, but you can also customize it to your liking. Here are a few ideas:
- Swap the raisins for other dried fruits, such as cranberries or apricots.
- Add a handful of chocolate chips or chopped nuts for extra flavor and texture.
- Drizzle caramel sauce or a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top before serving.
Feel free to experiment and make this recipe your own!
Old Fashioned Bread Pudding is a classic and easy dessert that you can enjoy for breakfast, brunch, or as a comforting dessert. With its simple ingredients and delicious flavors, it’s a recipe that you’ll want to make again and again. So why not give it a try and indulge in the warm, custardy goodness of this timeless treat?