If you’re a fan of blueberry muffins, you’re in for a treat. In this blog post, we’ll be sharing the famous recipe for The Ritz-Carlton’s Blueberry Muffins. These muffins have been a staple at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in Boston since it opened in 1927. Over the years, the recipe has been perfected by talented pastry chefs, resulting in a plump, crusty-topped muffin that is simply irresistible.
The journey to perfecting The Ritz-Carlton’s Blueberry Muffins recipe began in 1971, when then pastry chef Charles Bonino set out to develop a better version. He was determined to create a muffin that would surpass even the renowned version served at Gilchrist’s, a popular department store in Boston at the time. Mr. Bonino bought dozens of Gilchrist’s muffins over the years, analyzing and attempting to replicate their deliciousness. Although the guests were always pleased with the muffins, Mr. Bonino was never entirely satisfied with the results.
In 1982, Gunther Moesinger took over as the pastry chef at The Ritz-Carlton and decided to make some changes to the recipe. He swapped out shortening for butter, increased the amount of eggs and blueberries, and reduced the baking powder. These adjustments resulted in a muffin that was even more flavorful and moist.
Now, let’s dive into the recipe for The Ritz-Carlton’s Blueberry Muffins:
- 3½ cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 5 ounces unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 or 5 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen
- Additional sugar for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Be careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Grease the top of large muffin tins and insert paper cups. Spoon the batter into the paper cups, filling them to the top.
- Sprinkle the tops of the muffins generously with sugar.
- Reduce the oven heat to 400 degrees and place the muffin tins on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown.
- Remove the muffins from the tins and allow them to cool.
The Ritz-Carlton’s Blueberry Muffins are best enjoyed on the day they are made. The combination of plump blueberries, moist texture, and crusty top makes them a truly irresistible treat. Whether you’re hosting a brunch, enjoying a leisurely breakfast, or simply craving a delicious snack, these muffins are sure to satisfy your taste buds.
So why not give The Ritz-Carlton’s Blueberry Muffins recipe a try? Surprise your family and friends with these delectable treats and let them experience the taste of luxury right in their own homes.